"[Max could] give...Mein Kampf, [but] there was no way he'd give such propaganda to a young German girl. That would be like the lamb handing a knife to the butcher" (221). This analogy stuck out to me as I was reading. Max was feeling bad that he hadn't gotten Liesel a birthday present and Death points out that "[Max] had nothing to give." Though what I don't understand is how Zusak could compare giving a young German girl Mein Kampf to the lamb giving the butcher a knife. Is it because Max, being a Jew, and the lamb would both be killed (one by Nazis and one by a knife) if the book and the knife were given? If so, how would anyone find out where or how Liesel obtained the book? If not, then how does this analogy work?
"You scared me, Max" (281). Liesel had just gasped at the "Danke schön" following the sight of Max's sketches and replacing his book. "[Max] returned to his sleep...and the girl dragged the same thought up the steps. You scared me, Max." Zusak's choice to repeat this phrase is quite interesting and is used economically for emphasis. Liesel seems to be frightened of not just Max's unexpected thanks, but also of his sketches she had just seen of the Führer Hitler and his actions. One is of two people standing atop a mountain of dead bodies with the sun out as a swastika. They revel in the "lovely day." Liesel is shocked at the sketches because of how daring Max, a Jew, is towards Hitler who was such a powerful figure at that time in Nazi Germany.
On page 287, Rudy asks Liesel if she is hungry. Her response, as if in her own head, was "'Starving.' For a book." This reminded me of "Romeo and Juliet" and how some characters in each piece of writing don't know exactly what other characters know/want. Rudy doesn't know that Liesel is stealing from Frau Hermann just to retrieve another book; Paris doesn't know of Romeo and Juliet's secret love for each other.
Friday, May 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I feel that Max is the lamb in the analogy of "the lamb handing a knife to the butcher". By handing Meim Kampf to Liesel, who is a German, she may read about Hitler's views and agree with Hitler. Then Liesel would no longer like Max because of his religion and maybe rat him out. Max essentially would be handing Liesel propaganda that might change her views about Jews.
ReplyDeleteOooohhhh. I see what you're saying...after reading your comment, Kristen, another question popped into my head- Why would Death think Liesel's views would change, and if they did, that Liesel would tell someone about her beloved friend Max?
ReplyDeleteKristen, that's actually a really good question. Personally, I think since Liesel isn't really that old, she wouldn't know a lot about what's going on. True, she probably has realized some of what Hitler and the Nazis have done, and most likely associates them with the disappearance of her mother. However, because of her age, she could easily be swayed in the direction of the Nazis. After all, Hitler was a great orator, (and most likely a writer as well), and he was able to convince thousands of ADULTS to listen to him. So why wouldn't Liesel be convinced as well?
ReplyDeleteKristen, when I read the line you mention, I interpreted it as Death explaining Max's point of view, so it is Max, not Death, who worries about "handing a knife to the butcher."
ReplyDeleteAlso, it may not be that Max is worried specifically that Liesel's views will change, but that he has no reason to be distributing propaganda that condemns him as "scum", no matter who receives it.
Alexandra, like you said, Liesel associates Hitler and the Nazis with her lack of biological family. I think if a child knows of the cause of something so extravagant as losing his family, they might not be so easily convinced by oration/writing/etc. I also wouldn't know how Liesel could hear from the Führer directly, either through his speeches or his books or any sort of his propoganda. I believe she would be protected enough by Hans and Rosa to be able to hear very little about the Führer and his actions (I'm not saying she is totally protected from these evils). I wouldn't know, but if Liesel did come across Hitler's propaganda, I don't believe she would be able to comprehend a lot of it (correct me if I'm wrong). Back to your post, Alexandra...to answer your question, I think because of the fact Liesel is a child that she wouldn't be so easily convinced as many adults were by Hitler. If it is known by a child why a precious aspect of his life, family, is taken out of his childhood, then I think this child would not give in (as easily) to whatever beliefs that Hitler has, in this case.
ReplyDelete