Monday, May 25, 2009

Humans' self-obsession

I realize this is from much earlier in the book, but I always found it fascinating and never had a chance to get answers about it. On page 307, death says "you're a human, you should understand self-obsession." Even from the very beginning, death says "[humans] are the ones [death] can't stand to look at"(5). Death is constantly talking about how humans are so selfish and ignorant. I was just wondering: why does death always seem to be so mad at humans? What does death have against the human race?

2 comments:

  1. Well I think that Death is just plain annoyed at his job. It's sort of like if you had a job of cleaning up every single pigeon poop there is in the world, without any breaks at all. After a while it would get to the point where you could almost kill the pigeons because they are the reason you have your annoying job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Death's work is sourced from the actions of evil people, for the most part. I can understand why he is infuriated with the human race because we produce people such as Hitler, who is a man giving Death quite a few jobs to take care of. In all our triumphs and glory, the human race is scarred by the few who are truly horrible, and those few are the ones that give Death his work.

    ReplyDelete