Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The snow in the kitchen at 31 Himmel Street

After Frau Holtzapfel sobs in the street after the death of her sons, Hans Hubbermann ushers her into his house at 31 Himmel Street. I think it's bizarre that Death comments how he imagines the snow to continue in the kitchen within the house. The coldness certainly adds to the feelings in the scene in the street, but I can't comprehend why Death imagines the snow to continue even after Hans has taken Frau Holtzapfel into his home. I think Hans is acting as warmly as he can, and I don't know why the cold, harsh, real world enters the Hubberman's home in Death's imagination. Isn't Hans doing all he can to combat the grief and misery of Frau Holzapfel's misfortune by comforting her? Why does Death keep the scene grim instead of focusing on the kindness Hans displays?

1 comment:

  1. I think that Death wants us to focus more on the pain and hardship Frau Holtzapfel is feeling rather than the kindness of Hans. He wants us to see this new none-violent, vulnerable, and sad she is. This instead of her being a cranky old lady who spits on doors. Death is showing us this new side and tries to keep the spotlight on it, because we all know Hans is a very kind person always.

    (And 31 Himmel is Frau Holtzapfel's house, not the Hubermann's)

    ReplyDelete