After Liesel reads "The Word shaker", and wonders where Max is. She then wakes up, saying "Of course I know where he is" (451). Unlike Liesel, I slept on this matter and didn't understand. Where is Max?
Also, I know that 475 is the end of our reading, but I went on and finished that chapter ("The Accident"). SPOLER ALERT! If you have not read past 475, stop reading this post.
After Hans's truck flips over, their squad sends for a truck and an ambulance, and the ambulance never comes. Hans's sergeant then says, "You know what that means, don't you?" (477). Does this simply mean that the men will have to make do with quick fixes to their injuries, or is there more meaning to this quote?
I believe that the ambulance never arriving means that either a) there are so many people calling ambulances that there aren't enough, or b) that the hospitals / ambulances nearby were bombed and can no longer retrieve them. If it's the latter, then the sergeant is just saying "well, they got bombed too and now we have to do our job over there,too,".
ReplyDelete