Just a quick post - Does Max becoming sick act as a metaphor for other Jews in the time? Does it it simply illustrate one of the many struggles Jewish people had to go though, or was it to show the reader the Hubermanns' devotion to Max? Or maybe it was just for tension...
I can't quite grasp what the point of that chapter was.
I think that Zusak chose to make Max sick because this shows how much the Hubermann family cares for Max and how much they care for his health and his survival. I also think that Zusak really wanted to emphasize on how much Liesel's and Max's relationship has improved over the story because when Max becomes sick, Max is all that Liesel thinks about. When Max was healthy, the reader couldn't really see the affection that the Hubermann family has for Max.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Daniel that the Hubermanns and Liesel care very much about Max, but while Max was sick, I saw the Hubermanns worrying about what to do with a Jewish corpse more than caring so much about him.
ReplyDeleteI think that Max's sickness brought Max and Liesel closer together because it is shown how much Liesel cares about Max, like how even though he can't hear her, she read to him every day. And although Hans and Rosa were more concerned with the fact of what they would do with Max's body if he died, Liesel seemed more concerned with the loss of Max.
ReplyDeleteI agree with everyone posts, but I also think that the presents Liesel gives Max is an important event that is not recognized. As we know, the Hubermanns are poor and have little money to spend on nonessentials. Because Liesel goes out of her way to search for meaningful gifts for Max, not only shows her care for him and the friendship they share, but Liesel also hopes it to be almost a medicine for his sickness.
ReplyDelete