Sunday, May 17, 2009

Ilsa Hermann - The Mayor's Wife

As I was reading through The Book Thief, I became a bit confused as to why the mayor's wife didn't say anything when Liesel the book, A Shoulder Shrug. We know that the mayor's wife did in fact see Liesel steal the book when death states that, "She had gotten away with nothing. The mayor's wife had seen her all right" (132). I would have thought the mayor's wife would have called Liesel over to tell her that she shouldn't steal books rather than befriending her and letting her read in their library. Also, when death says that "[the mayor's wife] was just waiting for the right moment" (132), it made me wonder whether the friendship growing between Liesel and the mayor's wife was genuine, or if someday, the mayor's wife will tell someone of Liesel's theivery. 

3 comments:

  1. I think that the mayor's wife understands why Liesel stole the book. If she has many books in her library she probably enjoys reading. The mayor's wife probably doesn't want to tell anyone that Liesel stole the book because she can relate to Liesel as to why she stole the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Katia that the mayor's wife isn't likely to tell anyone that Liesel stole the book. Ilsa Hermann appears to be a very defeated, lonely person, and is more concerned about her past suffering than anything happening in the present. Liesel's presence seems to comfort the mayor's wife and help to mitigate her loneliness. I also think that the mayor's wife understands the value of books, or she would not have invited Liesel to her library, and for this reason would rather have a book read than burned, and isn't likely to turn in Liesel for reading a book that would have been burned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both Katia and Sophie have made valid points, but I am also intrigued with death's comment that the mayor's wife was "just waiting for the right moment." Though the mayor's wife does appear to relate to Liesel and her love of books, I find it odd how she is so quick to dismiss Liesel's thievery as pursuit of love of the written word. What is death referring to as the right moment? It is difficult to know if Ilsa Hermann will have this moment later in the novel. I believe her possible motivations are mixed, especially as she has befriended Liesel so quickly, and shared her library for nothing in return. So far she has only aided Liesel, but I would not rule out the possibility that she may cause misfortune in the future. The mayor's wife now has an important piece of information; she may use it later either to cement her friendship with Liesel or to hurt Liesel.

    ReplyDelete