Thursday, May 28, 2009

Death and Liesel

During the novel Death continually refers to himself collecting many souls at one time. He mentions that the children lie peacefully in his arms and the others get carried over his back. Death portrays himself as a messenger, a person who delivers souls. Someone who is simply the doorway to afterlife.

After seeing Death described as such character it shocked me to read about his and Liesel's interaction when he is taking her soul. Instead of what I assumed the usual trip to where he take the souls, they walk together. I believed that there could be no interaction between the souls. Death does not carry Liesel as we have seen him do to other soul previously but they walk. It was hard for me to understand how a soul could read the book like Liesel does. When before I felt the souls were asleep or unable of communication or human behaviors when only souls. I was wondering what other people thought of their walk to the soccer field? And whether they had the same beliefs as me before reading it? Finally what you were thinking when reading this because it interested me?

No comments:

Post a Comment