Tuesday, May 5, 2009

I was thinking about Liselle's father, and Communism keeps on popping up around his name. Was he a communist? And, if so, was Hitler against him?

12 comments:

  1. *Liesel* that's the correct spelling

    ReplyDelete
  2. who is eluveitie??
    Yes, I think he was a communist and I think Liesel's mother was a commie too. She wanted to protect her children before she was found out.
    Hitler is against anyone who isn't Aryan, i.e. Poles, Jews, communists, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hitler didn't like anyone/thing that threatened his power

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also think that Liesel's parents are communist because when Liesel is writing letters to her mother, her foster parents are worried because they know she won't be able to reach her.
    Unless you meant Liesel's foster father?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liesel's parents could have been taken away for many reasons. There are plenty of different reasons people were killed during the holocaust. What evidence is there that Liesel's parents were communists?

    ReplyDelete
  7. As we discussed in class today, Communists believed that everyone was equal, whereas Hitler believed that Non-Perfect Aryans were infinitely lesser to the Aryans.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What proof is there that Liesel's parents were communists? At this point in the novel it seems to me that there could be many reasons for Liesel's parents to be taken away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Responding to what Ruthie posted, it is stated on page 31 that her father was labeled as "kommunist". Therefore, we have proof that Liesel's father is communist. However, the text never explicitly states that Liesel's mom is communist.

    Responding to what Gabe posted, Liesel's mother may have given her children up to protect them, but it doesn't mean she is a communist. I think it was because she did not have the money to support both Liesel and herself.

    ReplyDelete