Thursday, May 21, 2009

Rudy and Liesel's hatred of Hitler

Throughout the Book Thief, Zusak shows us many people who have changed their perception of the Fuhrer such as Rudy and Liesel. Both confessed to each other that they "hate [Hitler]" even though Rudy and Lieselhave been shielded from the Fuhrer (with the exception of Max). Something I noticed interesting was Rudy and Liesel were children. 

I believe Rudy and Liesel are against Hitler because of their innocence to corruption and greed, and their non-faded moral, which allow them to see beyond all of the misconceptions that Fuhrer installed into the citizens of Nazi Germany. I believe Hans Huberman and his respect of all human beings contributed to Liesel's hatred of the Fuhrer and her understanding of morality.

Although what I fail to comprehend is if Hans disliked the Fuhrer why did he apply to join the Nazi Party? Maybe to support his family?

1 comment:

  1. I believe that Hans applied to the Nazi party because he was concerned for his family and or himself a little bit. If he hadn't sent in an application, the party may have come for him and his family wondering why he had not joined, which could end up with him being caught (the Nazis might have found Max) and then the entire family would have been affected. The advantages to applying to the Nazi Party is that he would not be as suspicious and he would still be able to keep his beliefs in equality and keep customers for his job.

    ReplyDelete