Monday, May 18, 2009
Hans seems pretty mad about Max.
If you really think about it, Hans never actually wanted to hide Max. When Hans sent Mein Kampf to Max, it was to help Max get down to The Hubermans, but the reason Hans was hiding Max was not out of kindness, it was because he owed it to Max's family. When Hans was telling Erik Vandenburgs family about how Erik saved Hans's life, Hans said that if the family needed anything, that Hans would try to do it for them. Hiding Max was that favor. Also, after Max wakes up the first time he grabs Leisels arm and practically scared Leisel to death. Even though death didn't say it, you can imagine that Hans was pretty mad about that. What really got me though, was when Hans told Leisel what would happen if she told anyone about Max. Hans said that he would take all of Leisels books, and throw them in the fire place. Leisel started crying. You would think that by making a Leisel cry after one thing, that would be enough, but no, then Hans explained to Leisel that she would lose her family. She would lose her family for the second time in what, 10 years? I think that if Hans were not really mad about something, that he wouldn't have done that to Leisel. Hans was obviously trying to find an outlet for some anger, and what else would he have to be mad about than being forced, whether he likes or not, to do something that could get him, and his wife killed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think that Hans was just trying to drill into Liesel's head the fact that Max's existence needed to be kept a secret. It is a big risk to take to hide a Jew. If the word gets out, that would be the end of the Hubermann's. I think that Hans just wanted to make sure that no one would ever find out. Since Liesel hangs out with a lot of kids and feels especially comfortable with Rudy, Hans was just trying to make sure that they would stay safe. Even though Liesel may think of herself as close to Rudy, Hans wants to make sure that Liesel never utters a word about Max. I don't really think that Hans is in a bad mood or has to vent out anger. Rather, I think he just wants to show Liesel what could happen to all of them if the Nazis got word of Max.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with Ian on everything he just stated in the above comment.
ReplyDelete(205- Liesel and Max's meeting)In my opinion and how I envisioned the scene, Max was desperate for something, whether it was just a friend or just to make sure this strange girl he had never met wouldn't give his hiding away. I felt that Max was pleading for Liesel not to be afraid. I didnt even imagine Hans being angry at Max pleading for Liesel to trust him. Liesel did seem scared, though, but that was because this strange man who slept in her room for three days just woke up and grabbed her arm. Henry, I totally disagree with you that Hans got angry at Max for grabbing Liesel's arm for a reason so powerful and important to both Liesel and Max. (powerful and important that Liesel isn't scared and Max isn't scary/"found-out" about)
I also don't think that Hans is mad about hiding Max. If Hans really didn't want to, he didn't have to hide Max, even though he owes his life to Eric. The reason why Hans couldn't comfort Liesel after he made her cry is because he really wants to get his point across to her and its also the truth which she also needs to learn about.
ReplyDeleteHans may seem angry to you because hiding a Jew at that time wass not one of the most comforting things to have to deal with. I think Liesel understands all this which is why she has kept the secret all this time.