Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Welcome

Welcome to your blog for The Book Thief. This is the place to post your responses, "aha!" moments, background research, thoughts about language, and responses to others' posts. Enjoy yourselves!

4 comments:

  1. While reading TBT, I have always thought of Liesel as a shy, curious girl, and not the least bit violent or unruly. Other than her cursing exchanges with Rudy, she is very quiet, so it came as a shock to me when she finally snapped and beat up Ludwig Schmeikl (one of the kids teasing her about not being able to read). Also, it wasn't as though she just punched him in the nose and ran off; she beat him to within an inch of his life. I think that this is Liesel letting all of her pent up anxieties and frustration with the world out, although why she chooses to do so violently and to one of her classmates makes me wonder whether or not she actually has a violent temperament, or if this was just an unusual outburst. Ludwig would be a logical target, seeing as he has been bullying Liesel about her illiteracy. Being illiterate is something that hits close to home with Liesel, but I still don't think that she would beat someone up that thoroughly unless there was some other reason besides some minor teasing. Has anyone noticed any other violent tendencies with Liesel in the text? I certainly haven't, or didn't realize what they meant at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another thing, I am having trouble navigating the blog, how do I just look at all of the posts? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peter you should repost this as ur own post, not as a comment
    I agree the navigation is sub-par but u can just change the url back to the home

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can also click "The Book Thief" in the top left corner. (Even though it doesn't look like a link, it takes you back to the home page.) If you are looking for a specific post, they are in a list on the left side of the blog.

    ReplyDelete