After dismissing Liesel's thoughts, I was failing to find the reason held in esteem by Rudy and understood by Max. What could possibly explain Rudy's rash decision to demean the race of any value? After a few more read-thrus, I felt as if one word kept striking back at me; "imitation". Besides giving me a strong visual of the medals, the one word clued me into Rudy's feelings on the race. When I considered "imitation" in context of the race, I realized how Rudy could feel no pride in his accomplishments in the race because of the people running and sponsoring the event. There is no value, no happiness to enjoy when the place where you achieved greatness is a place where Hitler is praised. In essence, the medals are imitations in more than one sense; they are cosmetically fake, but they also represent nothing remarkable as their origins are tainted by the horrors of Hitler and his followers who were ever-so-present at the race. Out of lack for respect for the ideologies associated with the event, Rudy loses respect for what he accomplished and won at the race.
Do you believe that Rudy is trying to convey some other message different then the aforementioned one? What is your interpretation for why Rudy is inclined to step out of the final race and leave his medals behind to Leisel?
No comments:
Post a Comment