Friday, May 8, 2009

TBT: Prologue

Two (maybe three) things...First, on page 14, why are the colors not in the right order? Second, what does the smudge, the circle and the swastika have anything to do with the colors? I noticed that on page 10, Death notices a "odd, yet familiar signature" thing...is that the swastika mentioned on page 14? Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. 1. Isn't death relating the colors to times when he saw Liesel? I would guess that the events related to the colors are probably mentioned in chronological order.
    2. It is the Nazi symbol split up into colors (red, white, black). Death does this so he doesn't have to think about the symbol as a whole and what it represents.
    3. Yes. It is the swastika.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the colors are related to the times Death saw Liesel, but they aren't in chronological order...so that's what I'm wondering about...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just looked up the Nazi flag; it has a red background (the stripe) with a white circle in the middle (the white circle) and a black swastika in the middle (the swastika). Death is talking about seeing the Nazi flag.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading your exchange here made me feel as if I were in class, listening to you exchange ideas at your table there by the window!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay...so the swastika is in the second scene with the color black and the pilot, but I still don't understand why they are not in chronological order?

    ReplyDelete