Monday, May 25, 2009
Liesel and Ilsa
As I read about Liesel's many trips to Ilsa's Library, I have been wondering about Liesel's behaviors during her trips. To Liesel it seems as though she is a burglar who, if caught would be sent to prison, since she is always trying to sneak in and out of the Library. But on numerous occasions Ilsa finds her, and does exactly the opposite of what Liesel expects. By now, I would have thought Liesel's behaviors in and around the Library would have changed. Instead she still acts the same way as she always has. On page 450, when Liesel gets caught trying to steal The Last Human Stranger, she is the first one to speak. Not only does Leisel suddenly speak first, but she poses a question too that can spark a conversation between the two. In my opinion, this is Liesel's way to try and make the situation more comfortable, due to Ilsa and Liesel's awkward relationship. On the other hand, it could be that Liesel is just trying to pose a question as a distraction to take Ilsa's mind of the fact that she had just snuck in and stolen a book her Library.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think that the Mayor's wife enjoys Liesel's visits and therefore does not become angry when Liesel steals from her. I also think that Liesel is interested in Ilsa and she wants to talk to her. When their conversation is almost finished, Death explains Liesel's thoughts, "There was an itch to leave, but also a peculiar obligation to stay. She moved to speak, but the available words were too many and too fast" (461-462). Liesel isn't trying here to escape Ilsa; instead I think Liesel is happy that Ilsa caught her.
ReplyDelete