Monday, May 18, 2009
What does Rosa have to gain from hiding Max?
In class we discussed how Rosa is so practical and how she hates wasting supplies or money on useless things such as the 2 books that Hans gave to Liesel for Christmas when Liesel would've been content with 1 book. So why does Rosa allow Max to stay at her house when he is a burden on the family? He creates the risk of being caught and that puts a lot of worry in each member of the household and he is another mouth to feed. There is no benefit for her to harbor Max (other than the fact that he doesn't complain about her cooking). Does she just accept the fact that her husband owes a favor to his family or is it just out of the goodness of her heart?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I was wondering that too and was quite shocked that Rosa, not necessarily agreed, but allowed Hans to keep Max safe(r) at their home. I really have no idea about the reason Rosa allows for Max, but referring to your last question, I would guess accepting the fact is a stronger reason than the goodness of Rosa's heart. Like Death states earlier in the novel, Rosa does love Liesel but just shows the love in a different way than affection. I think Rosa doesn't show the "goodness" in her heart as easily as the average person might. This is the reason why I believe, of the two choices above, that Rosa accepting the fact that Hans is repaying the Vandenburgs is a stronger reason for her to allow a Jew into her home in Nazi Germany.
ReplyDeleteThat is a very good question, Tony. I am also curious about that. However, I have a couple ideas. I agree with Kristen that Rosa has a lot of good intentions and probably understood that Max deserved better treatment than he has been getting. However, another possibility is that Rosa wanted to see Hans actually have a responsibility. Since Rosa never seems to think of Hans as a hard worker, maybe she is giving Hans a chance to have to work hard on something. Since Max is connected to Hans and not Rosa, Hans is the one who has to look after Max. Rosa might want to show Hans what hard work and taking on a large responsibility actually feels like.
ReplyDeleteVery interesting. This idea was something i haven't thought about until now and I guess I just thought that Rosa's approval of Max just came naturally. I believe that in her mind she isn't enough for Hans or Liesel, and feels that little actions like being ok with housing a Jew demonstrates her love for the family. Her toleration, especially, for Max also shows how strong she is and how far she will go to support her family.
ReplyDeleteWell even though Rosa often acts very tyrannical, she does not have a faded sense morality like her son. Rosa knows that Jews might endanger her family however she is willing to offer shelter and food for a fellow person.
ReplyDeleteWe've talked about her love before, for her children and her husband, and how she never explicitly says anything to prove it, but we know it's there because Death told us so. Ian's idea is very thought-provoking, but maybe it's just easier for me to believe that she is doing this for her family. It's like she has a constant need to mother things, and to bring a family together because it is such a fulfilling accomplishment. Maybe she saw Max as a the perfect type of project to bring them even closer together as they all accept one more into their home. Knowing her past, she is not one to refuse being in control of another slightly less powerful human being.
ReplyDelete