Thursday, May 21, 2009

Rudy's Last Gold Medal

In the chapter "The Trilogy" Rudy wins the 1500, the 400 and 200. Later, on page 363, he false starts three times and claims he did it on purpose.  Liesel thought that this is because Rudy isn't Jesse Owens. I don't understand what this means. Rudy was doing a favor for another boy by letting him having the last gold medal. This shows clear sportsmanship, so that's not what Jesse Owens would do? Or is that Rudy was actually lying and was just so tired and nervous that he jumped too early? 

4 comments:

  1. I thought Liesel meant that Rudy wasn't Jesse Owens, so he couldn't win 4 gold metals. If you reread the page, Liesel doesn't know exactly why Rudy purposely lost the fourth race. "[Liesel] often wondered what Rudy's answer might have been had she pushed him," (364).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pretty sure that Rudy was just lying to Liesel about the false starts. Rudy's nerves probably just got the best of him so he faulted twice. Liesel said he wouldn't win because only an athlete like Jesse Owens could pull off a feat like winning 4 gold medals

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think Rudy false started accidentally. Death gives us some possible explanations like, "Perhaps three medals had shown what he'd wanted to show, or he was afraid to lose that final race," (364), but Death doesn't give us the possible explanation that Rudy's nerves just got the best of him.

    Liesel also doesn't believe Rudy lied about the false start.

    Death is omniscient so he knows Rudy's true reason. If it was simply an accident, I think Death would have made a comment about Rudy's lie, but Death left it up to our imagination, and I think Rudy has a reason.

    ReplyDelete