Friday, May 15, 2009
The Floating Book (Part 1)
When I first read about the book floating down the Amper River, I, once again, was confused by Death's skipping around in the narrating. I found it very interesting that Death continues to tell the reader what will happen later in the novel without spilling too much. I was captivated, and I wanted to read more when Death say, "[Rudy] didn't deserve to die the way he did." (page 241). I think Zusak's choice of having Death notifying the reader of what is to come later, really keep the reader INSIDE the book. It is a very engrossing way for me to read this novel.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I actually thought that this chapter of the book was written too explicitly. Death reveals, about a paragraph later, the fate of Rudy, describing his "bomb-hit lips" (242).
ReplyDeleteThis short, quick chapter IS a great example of the type of "shard" that Zusak gives to us as readers as we continue along in the story, though.
Torie: I agree with Sarah, the distorted timeline provides a more interesting narration. But, if you remember what you said in class, that even though Death reveals Rudy's fate early in the book, you wouldn't remember the detail until it actually happens later in the novel. Therefore, what Death does here is clever, and prepares readers for upcoming events.
ReplyDeleteI also think that Zusak wants to expand on how extreme of a narrator Death is that he/she is willing to reveal the fate of an important character like Rudy only midway through the novel.
ReplyDeleteI was very disappointed that Death ruined the plot for the reader and i feel like there was no point in adding that information of Rudy's death. But if Zusak was intent on keeping that spoiler he could have at least warned the readers so the readers who don't like to know what happens next because it makes the story less suspenseful (like myself) can just skip that section.
ReplyDeleteI actually am glad that Death gives it away a bit... because Death lets us know that not all things turn out well no matter how much we want Rudy to live. Also, I like that he doesn't tell us how Rudy will die because that is left for a surprise.
ReplyDeleteWell Sarah, actually Death kind of does tell us how Rudy dies because Death says "He'd have been glad to witness her kissing his dusty, bomb-hit lips"(242). We don't know the specifics but we do know that a bomb hits Rudy.
ReplyDeleteYes, but that is not a complete give-away.
ReplyDelete