Monday, May 18, 2009
Hans is a very interesting character to me. One reason for this being so is because of how he excuses behavior. On two occasions (so far that I've read) Hans has said to his son and to Max that the reason why they didn't do something when they were younger is well, because they were boys or still have boyish qualities in them and have not matured. Max had "resisted the learning" from his mother, and Hans dismisses Max's words (Max calls himself foolish) by telling him, "You were a boy,"(219). Hans also dismisses his son's words as him just being stubborn (I'm pretty sure this is written in the book, I distinctly remember reading this, but I can't find it). I have some questions about Hans's behavior and was wondering if there was like an age and a certain way that you have to be for Hans to consider you to be a "man". Does anyone know?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I don't think there is a designated age requirement. I think that to be a man in Hans's point of view, you have to be able to take care of yourself and share the same ideas and views that Hans has in life.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Ian that there is no designated age to be a man in Hans'eyes but i disagree that you have to have the same ideology as Hans to be a man in his point of view. I think what people consider to be a man is different in everyone's point of view and i don't think we have enough information to distinguish what Hans thinks the requirements of being a man are.
ReplyDelete