Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Death's Diary: Cologne

As I was reading the chapter "Death's Diary: Cologne" (p. 336), I was puzzled about a couple of things.

First, when Death says that he wants to "screw up the [burning] newspaper sky and toss it away", but he is prevented because "[his] arms ached and I couldn't afford to burn my fingers". His arms ache from carrying souls, but why what significance did the newspaper have to him, and why did he want to screw it up and toss it away? Was he just tired of the war and want a vacation?

Also, why were children so intent on collecting the fuel containers (or did they just have nothing better to do), and why did one of the girls' fathers stop her from taking one?

2 comments:

  1. He said "newspaper sky" right? Well maybe he was referring to the color, that it was grayish with some black.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Death just imagines that the thing in the fire is the newspaper. The sky is yellow, which he associated to fire, and in it, the latest reports on the war. I think Death might have been tired of taking people's souls, especially children.

    Also, the fuel containers show how clueless and innocent the children are. There is this terrible war going on, and the children have no idea how dangerous the war actually is.

    ReplyDelete