Tuesday, May 19, 2009

"I knelt. I readied myself to insert my hands through the blankets. Then there was a resurgence- an immense strunggle against my weight. I withdrew, and with so much work ahead of me, it was nice to be fought off in that dark little room. I even managed a short, closed-eyed pause of serenity before I made my way out" (318).

As our class has established before, Death clearly has feelings of remorse and responsibility for the lives he has taken even though he never did the killing. This clearly shows that Death has a pure human characteristic even if he is foreign. But as Death is "fought off in that dark little room" it appears that he feels more relieved than anything. This is a rare moment for Death when he can actually enjoy a moment of peacefulness after attempting to carry a soul away. By learning about Death's personality in depth, it becomes apparent that Death cares about the people he must "kill".

4 comments:

  1. I think that Death feels a deeper connection to the human race than he lets on. I'm not sure what that connection is, but it may have something to do with the fact that, when describing himself, he says "go find a mirror." Maybe Death was once a human, and some twist of fate transformed him into "Death."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Hannah and I also think that Death is happy that Max survived because there were so many deaths at that time and Death was kind of relieved that finally one person had the strength to stay alive. It is also possible that since Death cares a bit for Liesel he was happy that Max didn't die because if he had died, Liesel would have been very upset.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with peter that there is an apparent connection between Death and the human race. Also we know that Death has a heart because he announces it to the reader on page 242 so we know that he has remorse for taking the souls of some people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always more interested in characters who tell us who they are in spite of themselves than I am in the ones who are very straightforward. I enjoy that feeling of "Aha...so you really are someone/something that cares..."

    ReplyDelete