Friday, May 22, 2009

Recognitions

It struck me how well I could recognize the different characters just by reading a short line of theirs. Keep in mind that there was no explicit indications of whom was saying what.

"Hi, Liesel."
"Here's a brush, Liesel."
"About time, Saumensch. Where have you been so long?" (pg. 256).

"Hi, Liesel."
I know from experience that Max is a timid person. The tone of the first line implies that the speaker is courteous by simply is too meek to say anything more.

"Here's a brush, Liesel."
As explained earlier, Hans Hubermann is a painter. It would be most likely that he would be the one giving such materials to Liesel. Also, this girl is called Liesel only (usually) by Max and Hans. Knowing that Max would not allow himself the authority to offer something to Liesel that is not his, I realize that Hans is the only other possibility. The tone of the sentence is very kind and willing. This would be a definite example of the way Hans treats Liesel: kindly and sensibly.

"About time, Saumensch. Where have you been so long?"
Immediatedly, the thought of Rosa pops into my head as I see the word Saumensch. Her constant swearing at anybody who comes IS her uniqueness. I also see antoher distinct personality trait. Rosa's suspiciousness towards Liesel about why she took so long defines her role as a caring mother.

If you can recognize the characters' by their voices, is it in the same way I do? If not, which clues do you pick up OR method do you use to figure out a certain person's line?

1 comment:

  1. When I am deciphering the speech of an unknown character, I rely more on the content of the sentences as opposed to the words that compose said lines. Words can often times be deceiving when trying to identify, as they can be said by anyone at any point in time. On the other hand, on occasion, specific words can be attributed to specific characters. As you mentioned in your post, certain words such as "Saumensch" always denote a single character. In essence, a balanced combination of understanding what is being said, how, and with what words allows for an accurate method of deciphering.

    ReplyDelete