Friday, May 22, 2009

Death mentions a boss being at his shoulder, telling him to "Get it done, get it done," (335). Does Death make a reference to a boss because it's his duty to take souls, and is there something compelling him to collect them? If so, what would it be? What stops Death from quitting? Is it his fascination with human beings or is there something else? If Death is fascinated with humans, why would that be? Does it have to do with humans' struggles, as discussed earlier by Kiley? Does he watch humans because of the colors he sees when he takes their souls? Or is this all something he does involuntarily? What is the source of his fascination with children? And lastly, if he were given the choice of staying at his job or becoming a human, which do you think he would choose?

3 comments:

  1. I find that Death acts on involuntary measures, as opposed to a desire to do what he does. While doing his work, I believe Death has found ways to distract and immerse himself in other things. He has no choice in the work he does, but he can find ways to make it more bearable. Consider this: Death has to exist and continue on forever; he cannot quit. Humanity and society depends on both birth and death, and if everyone lived forever, our earth would struggle to stay upright...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Simone that Death most likely is forced to do his job. Death seems to regret many of the lives he has taken, and often mentions how unbearable his job is, so I find it hard to believe that he would not quit if given the opportunity. Death also asks "who could ever replace [him]" (5), a question that seems to indicate that even if there is no force compelling him to do his job, he cannot quit because humanity would not be able to exist in the same way without him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that since Death knows how important his job is and what would happen if he stopped doing his job.
    Also, we can relate to, when he talks about the boss making him do a lot of work at once. Think about finals week. We have a lot to study and sometimes we would rather do other things, but we still study and get through the week. I think that is how Death feels when he has a lot of souls to pick up at once. I don't think that he questions why he has to do his job all the time and when he does, he probably thinks of all the interesting humans he can observe (like Liesel).

    ReplyDelete