Thursday, May 28, 2009
Author's Choice
I noticed that usually, when there is a death, Death tells us in advance, for example on page 242, Death talks about Rudy's death way in advance of the real time. There are some exceptions, though, and I think Zusak does this on purpose. A big character, like Rosa, died without any beforehand knowledge. I was wondering why a character who plays such a large role in this novel dies just suddenly, while others, like Liesel, Papa, Rudy, and so on, have forewarnings.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think that Zusak does this because this is just his style of writing, which is very unique, because he isn't afraid to tell the reader of what to come. I think that he chose to have Rosa die suddenly because he had already given away everyone else's death so he wanted to mix things up.
ReplyDeleteBy not foreshadowing every character's death, Zusak keeps his readers on their toes, unaware of what might happen next. I agree with Morkovine that it is also because of Zusak's writing style that he would warn the reader's ahead of time.
ReplyDeleteI think that because all the major characters died at the same time, it wouldn't have the same effect if Death had shown us previously for every single other character. It might have become monotonous, if you will.
ReplyDeleteI believe that Zusak's inconsistency helps to make the story much more interesting. By revealing some but not all of the information, and in different ways, Zusak is able to successfully draw more of his readers into the book and its plot(in a good way).
ReplyDelete