Thursday, May 28, 2009

Death can see inside souls?

As I finished reading The Book Thief, I was most interested in the descriptions Death gave of the souls he picked up on Himmel Street. He first described the less important characters, finally leading up to Rudy and the Hubermanns. A line that caught my attention was when Death "watched the contents of [Rudy's] soul" (531). Up until then, I did not know that there was memories to be seen in souls. I feel that Zusak connects these thoughts with the rest of the story, making it stronger and more powerful.

Just a question for anyone, what do you think Liesel's soul would show if she had died during the bombing of Himmel Street?

1 comment:

  1. In answer to your question, I believe that if her soul showed anything to Death it would all the emotions that had built up. Her love for Rudy, Hans, Mama. Also her sadness for her lost mother, brother and father. I also believe there would be images from her stealing books, and apples. I think that all of this would sort of be jumbled together. All of the different emotions from her childhood but mostly Rudy and Hans.

    ReplyDelete